Saturday, January 23, 2021

My First Little Golden Book Junk Journal


 Made this little golden book journal for my friend Kym. 

She received it yesterday, so I can post it now. 

Found the little book at the goodwill. The binding was

removed, and I increased the spine. The book was now bigger to add

the journal pages. Added book corners to the front, and back corners. I also

used a hitch post to keep the book closed. 


The added chipboard spine was covered with fabric. Pamphlet stitch

used to bind the book. 


The story was kept intact, and can be read from 

start to finish. I got lucky, and found a 

sign language book for kids at the local library. They sell used books. 

Any who...Kym learned how to sign, and she does so at her church. 

I wanted to personalize the journal for her. 


Won't show all the pages, but you can see that I added

some texture paper, pattern paper, and stationary throughout the journal. 


Some pockets with additional handmade writing paper. 


I really liked this printed vellum butterfly paper. 


Envelope folded in half and inserted in the pages. 

Holds pull out cards for more writing space. 

I love adding pockets, and little tuck spots in my journals. 


Center of the first signature. I added washi tape along the bottom.  This book has two signatures. 


I added pages to the actual pages of the book again this gives more 

writing space. 


When I added the extra page to the book page I used

strips of pattern paper. I think it gives the pages some interest. 


another pocket with a pull out page. 


side triangle pocket with tag, and more writing paper. 


another pocket. This one is a double pocket. The butterfly

is a pocket, and the cardstock it is attached to is another pocket. 


On some of the pages I added a tri-fold pull out page. Gives

some more writing space. The pull out is held closed with a paper clip. 



Here is is closed. 


Vintage sheet music, and more sign pages. 


the basket page I added because I was thinking of the story of

baby Moses in the reed basket. 



I also inserted a time card. I think the reason I 

love junk journals is that you can add anything to them. 

Now I look for "hidden" junk all the time to use in journals. 


Added this card as I thought it went with the flowers on the printed page. 

I added color to the card using distress oxide inks. 


The little mini book at the top is also made from junk

pages. Held on the page with a hidden paper clip. 


Here is the last page, and back cover of the book. 

I'm so happy with how this turned out. I think Kym was really

happy to receive it. 

I'll be making more of this Golden Book journals. 

Wouldn't this be a great keepsake. Use a favorite book of child, and

turn it into a journal either for the child, parent, grandparent, or godparent. 

Krafty trails
Karen 


No comments: