Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lighter Sweet Potato Biscuits


I made some yummy sweet potato biscuits. I watch the Foodwork and over the summer one of the chefs made sweet potato biscuits and it just made me want some. 
Well her recipe was a no go as it was full of to many things that I shouldn't be eating. 
So I went on the search and came up with a lighter recipe.

I haven't used my rolling pin since forever so I had to find that. 
Of course I didn't have a 2" biscuit cutter, but I wasn't going to let that deter me. 
I used a drinking glass to make the cuts. 
I also no longer had my Tupperware baking mat that I use to roll dough on. 
Undaunted I floured up the kitchen counter to roll them out. Can you tell how much I really wanted one?


Here is the dry and wet bowl.


You can see by the rolled out dough that there are little pieces of the sweet potato. I used a hand masher to mash the potatoes after they were cooked. After the mess I was making I wasn't in the mood to break out the Kitchen Aid mixer. 


See the drinking glass worked just fine to cut with. 

They came out of the oven all nice and fluffy. So good!
Want the recipe?

Here you go. I made only one change to the one I found online. I added 1/2 teaspoon of red cayenne pepper. I wanted just a bit of heat. 


Heat oven to 450 degrees
Makes 10
1/3 cup light butter
2 3/4 cup Heart Smart Bisquick
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup 2% milk
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
cut the butter into the Bisquick in a large bowl using pastry blender (or use 2 knives)
Whisk the milk and mashed sweet potatoes in another bowl, add the cayenne pepper if you want them a bit spicy. 
Add the wet bowl to the dry bowl and mix with spoon. Flour your hands and turn the dough out onto floured surface. Knead several times and roll out to 1/2 thickness. Use 2" biscuit cutter to cut out 10. You'll have to roll the dough again. I got 5 per roll. 
Place on cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. 
Each one is 93 calories. 
Stamping trails
Karen 

No comments: