Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mom's Birthday/Obscure Holiday Cards/Valentine Card




Thanks Lisa for the great cards! The eagle card is for Freedom Day, the other one is Send a Card to a Friend day, and the cute little monkeys are for Valentine's Day.




I went to see mom this morning. She was in good spirits. She did however forget it was her birthday till I told her and gave her the cupcakes I made yesterday. I made breakfast for her and brought it to the home so we could eat together. However.....I couldn't stop her from eating a cupcake before she ate her breakfast. With mom being in the home I have really got a close look at what aging is all about. Forget the red hats and wearing what you want....it's all about the chocolate! I just let her eat what she likes. I figure at this stage of the game she should be able to take her enjoyment how she likes. Mom turned 76 today. She was the mom to 3 children, and a sister to 7 other siblings. Most of the siblings are gone now. She was born and raised in Ceder Bluff VA, graduated from the 11th grade....which was the highest grade at the time, worked as a book keeper at a local Dairy, got married, and had her first child my sister Charolette there. Times were hard and Dad left for OH and got a job at the steel factory. They moved to Cleveland in 1955 and raised the rest of there family in Cleveland. Mom always worked. Her last job was at Bowman Products on the east side of Cleveland. She worked there for 30 years before retiring as a manager. She hated to cook. She always said her next house would not have a kitchen. She did love to piece quilts, but didn't like to quilt them. Hence I have about 30 some odd quilt tops that she gave me that need to be quilted. Oh she was Elvis's biggest fan! My grand daddy (my father's dad) gave her a pig and she named it Elvis. Never will forget when we went down to the farm and they had him slaughtered. I was 10 and it was very upsetting to me. I loved that pig!
For someone who didn't like to cook she did love to work in the garden, and can the harvest.

So Mom a very Happy Birthday to you today!!!!!

No comments: