Monday, March 16, 2009

Shamrock Day


And a Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!!!
These are cards I received from my friends. Thanks Bunches girls!!!! I'm hanging my head in shame as I haven't made a single card for this holiday. Shame on me and after I got stamps to make them also. Oh well. I'm still going to get them made even though it will be late.
I spent a good deal of time last night making Shepherd's Pie to take to work today. We are having a pot luck with food to celebrate the holiday. Of course I modified the one I made so it's Weight Watcher friendly. It smelled so yummy cooking. Can't wait to have some for lunch later today. Here is the recipe if you'd like to make some. Point value is 5 per serving.
2 large potatoes peeled, cut into pieces
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 tbsp light margarine
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion chopped
2 carrots diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 lb lean ground turkey
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
2 cup chicken broth
heat oven to 400
boil potatoes till fork tender, drain, return to pot mash with sour cream and margarine. I use the old hand potato masher for this. Good way to mash is to return the taters back to the pot and put back on the burner on low for few minutes. This absorbs the extra water in them. Then mash.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery cook till soft. Add the turkey brown till meat cooks. Add flour, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper, stir to coat. Add broth, simmer till mixture thickens.
Transfer turkey mixture to 9 inch deep pie plate. Spread mashed taters on top using back of a spoon. Bake until taters are golden about 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Of course I made a double batch and made two 8 x 8 pans instead of using the pie plate.
Off to work....enjoy your day and wear some GREEN
Stamping Trails
Karen 207

3 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

Good for you sticking with the diet on a holiday!

Cute cards!

Joan Ervin said...

What beautiful cards...your friends are very talented!!! Thanks for the yummy recipe, too...I'll have to give it a try!!!

Kirk said...

Thanks for the beautiful Karen. You are the best, and I'm lucky that you're my friend!!